Programming Depending on the recipe, the Braumeister is programmed with the appropriate brewing times or a recipe from My Speidel gets synchronized. The brewing process starts by switching over to automatic brewing. The control system guides the user through the various steps and executes the four brewing phases automatically.
Mashing Depending on the recipe and method, water is poured in and heated up to 38 °C. Then the malt pipe with the sieve inserts is put in position. Malt is poured between the sieve inserts. The malt pipe is fixed with bracket and draw-bar.
Mashing & brewing The pump switches on. Due to the resulting water / wort circulation, the starch is extracted from the malt. The four brewing phases are executed as programmed, for example as follows:
- Protein rest 55 °C, approximately 5 min
- Maltose rest 63 °C, approximately 40 min
- Saccrification rest 72 °C, approximately 30 min
- Saccrification rest 78 °C, approximately 15 min
Lautering At the end of the four phases an acoustic signal sounds. The sub-sequent lautering process is quickly executed by simply removing the malt pipe. In the case of the 200 and 500 litre Braumeister this is done by means of the lifting device. Allow to drain a few minutes and remove – if necessary, pour water through the malt (sparge) to achieve a better yield.
- Hop Boiling With the lid open, the wort is boiled for 80 minutes with hops being added several times. The evaporated water is to be replaced by adding fresh brewing water. The original gravity can be finally adjusted by adding or leaving out water. The draw-bar on the Braumeister serves as a level meter. At the end of the boiling phase, an acoustic signal sounds again.
Fermenting & Maturing Immediately after the boiling of the wort the temperature of the wort is brought to the level of the fermentation temperature by a double jacket; the wort needs to be mixed with yeast and fermented in a suitably sized fermenter/tank (available separately). After several weeks of storage in bottles (not supplied) or in a maturing barrel (not supplied), the beer can be consumed.